[Nottingham] AGM - Candidates and How to Vote (email vote deadline 5pm)

Duncan John Fyfe djf at star.le.ac.uk
Thu Jul 21 14:19:48 BST 2005

On Thu, 2005-07-21 at 06:20 +0100, Godfrey Nix wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-07-20 at 12:52, Roger Light wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > Today is the day for voting in the new committee. Please do use your vote!
> >
> > The people standing for committee positions are as follows, listed in
> > alphabetical order:
> > The deadline for email votes is 5pm. Votes may also be cast at this
> > evenings meeting if you are unable to vote by the deadline, but email
> > votes are preferred.
>
> Well no one received my vote. As an IT professional, I have a
> self-imposed policy of not reading my personal email at work. That means
> I was unable to cast my vote for any one of the candidates. I suppose it
> does not really matter to me as I have not been able to get to meetings
> recently because of family commitments, but as the Founder of the group
> many years ago it does sadden me that this limited time has caused upset
> amongst the (now considerable) membership.

It saddens me to see someone who having failed to take the opportunity
to contribute to this at all levels from writing the constitution to how
the election would be run is going to winge about the considerable work
done by others because they didn't quite get it right.

Yes, things could have been done better and Michael Simms comments are
well made but at least he will work to improve things for next time
rather than just winge and wave a rather impotent founders badge around.
You aren't the only one in the world who has a lot of commitments.

You were the founder of the group but the last time you made any
significant contribution beyond the mailing list was years ago so don't
go kidding yourself that things would have been better had you had the
time.  Your founder's badge carries no weight in the ex mailing list
LUG.  When you find the time to make a positive contribution we will be
happy to receive it but until then stop knocking the efforts of others.

Have fun,
Duncan