[Nottingham] AGM - Candidates and How to Vote (email vote deadline 5pm)

Michael Simms michael at tuxgames.com
Fri Jul 22 19:41:16 BST 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-22 at 18:28 +0100, Martin wrote:
> David Aldred wrote:
> [---]
> > I'vve just read the Constitution again......
>
> In true Open Source style, its good to have another look-over.

Yup {:-)

> I like the comment to invalidate all present complaints. As for the
> other points, well... ermmm... Oooops!

Hehe

> > However, for the future, ISTM that email voting needs to be made possible, as
> > no-one (other than the formal constitution wording) seems to have thought it
> > wouldn't be!
>
> That has always been the intention from my understanding of discussions.
> The first draft was also intended mainly as a means of 'getting the
> group going'.

And its done a good job of that!

> > I would go along with Michael's suggestion that we need an EGM to amend the
> > constitution; however, the amendment I would propose would be to Standing
> > Orders
> [---]
>
> Good points.

I agree, your changes look better.

> > Martin mentioned proxy voting: that's a whole different piscine cooking
> > implement, and unless we *really* want it I'd say don't go there!
>
> I'll easily agree to dropping the 'proxy' suggestion due to the
> over-complexity.
>

> For general discussion? Or a meet-up?
>
> (I guess a little 'debugging' is to be expected.)
>

> What do people feel?

As for the anonymous voting, by this time next year Im willing to put
into place a voting system online where:

You connect to a web page

You vote by entering your email address and vote

The system emails you a code to validate your result and to prove your
email address.

You validate the vote, it then stores an extra vote for the candidate,
and the fact you have voted, but it forgets who you have voted for.

Source code to be peer reviewed to guarentee anonymity if required.

Im happy to host that on my site too if its more complex than we are
able to host on the nlug official website (I dunno what access we have
to it, can we use php or cgi or anything on the main site?)

--
Michael Simms - CEO, Tux Games
http://www.tuxgames.com