[Nottingham] What 2d or 3d drawing toolkit/lib?

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Tue Jul 26 10:55:37 BST 2005

Cam wrote:
> Michael
>
>> Well, you wanted a quick solution so I didnt suggest anything.
>
> :)

I was getting a bit worried about the 'quick' bit... I was rather hoping
for some nice C++ wrapped 'idiots drawing' for OpenGL :)

> Doesn't Qt have OpenGL support these days? It should be close to KDE
> (although I don't use KDE I have used Qt in the distant past).
>
> There's also fltk which is non mainstream but matches the requirement of
> 2d, 3d (OpenGL) and C++
>
> Lateral thinking: how about writing out SVG and rendering it with
> something else? It might be a good way to get quick results. Or write
> out gnuplot files.
>
> I suppose a lot depends on the 3D requirement, do you really need 3D, do
> you need it to be animated, or would a 2d hack that looks a bit like 3d
> be acceptable?

Good suggestions.

The display is for a simple experimental 3d simulation. Plot output
comes later. First attempt is just a simple 2d animated visual display
as the simulated system settles to see whether it settles as expected.

The SVG idea was good. I've output Postscript and POVRay code before now
to draw whatever for me!

So, search order is:

Some ready made OpenGL examples;
Qt;