[Nottingham] DVD mounting error

Peter Aldred peter at aldred.org
Fri Jun 3 14:20:56 BST 2005

Hi all,

Today I booted up my PC to find that nothing would mount on my previously
fine-and-dandy DVD drive. Whatever I put in there, I get 'Mount: no medium
found'.

I've looked through fstab, which looks a bit messy (I think it confused itself
during the Mandy install, though I've never had problems, until now) but I
can't see anything wrong, and mount doesn't show anything obvious like the
drive being mounted twice. Nothing shows up in /var/log/messages. Anyone got
any helpful ideas? :)

If it matters, the system's Mandriva2005LE, with KDE3.4.

Here's fstab:
(hda is the main drive, hdb is a backup of hda, hdc is a dvdrw (the drive
that's the current problem) and hdd is a dvd reader (which hasn't worked in a
while, either, I've just never been bothered enough to fix it (I think that
*is* an fstab problem, any ideas on that while we're at it?))
========================
# This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
/dev/hda1 / ext3 errors=remount-ro,defaults 1 1
/dev/hda6 /home ext3 defaults 1 2
/dev/hdb1 /mnt/backup ext3 defaults 1 2
/dev/hdb6 /mnt/backup/home ext3 defaults 1 2
/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom iso9660 user,iocharset=iso8859-15,noauto,ro,exec 0 0
none /mnt/floppy supermount
dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0022,iocharset=iso8859-15,sync,codepage=850
0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hda5 swap swap sw 0 0
/dev/hdd /mnt/cdrom2 auto
exec,noauto,utf8,codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-15,managed 0 0
========================

here's the output of mount:
========================
/dev/hda1 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
none on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw)
/dev/hda6 on /home type ext3 (rw)
/dev/hdb1 on /mnt/backup type ext3 (rw)
/dev/hdb6 on /mnt/backup/home type ext3 (rw)
none on /mnt/floppy type supermount (rw,sync,dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--)

As I say var/log/messages gave nothing. Let me know if there's any other info
might be useful.

Thanks in advance,
--
Pete