[Nottingham] Re: NTL cablemodem off power

James Gibbon jg at jamesgibbon.com
Thu Jun 9 19:17:31 BST 2005

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 18:49:00 +0100
David Aldred <david at familyaldred.org.uk> wrote:

> Due to work on the electrics in the room where the computers live, the power
> to the NTL cablemodem will have to be off for a while tomorrow.   I don't
> know how long - could be ten minutes, could be a few hours.
>
> Is there likely to be any problem with the connection when it's powered up
> again, or should it simply start flashing all its little lights happily
> again?  It's never minded a few minutes without power before, but there's
> never been a reason to switch it off, so it would have been accidental
> (blowing a fuse, or kicking the switch!) and very short term.
>
> (I'm assuming it's likely to change its IP address, but that's not an issue as
> nothing external should be addressing it by IP).

I've powered my NTL modem off quite a few times, both deliberately
and otherwise, and have had a problem with it coming back up - it
should just come back to life again in a few minutes and start
doing its thing. When the SYNC and RDY lights are both on and
steady, you're good to go. As you say, you may find that you're on
a new IP address when you come back up, but probably not, and it
sounds like you don't need to care either :)

James