[Nottingham] Re: NTL cablemodem off power

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Thu Jun 9 19:42:31 BST 2005

James Gibbon wrote:
> David Aldred <david at familyaldred.org.uk> wrote:

[---]
>>to the NTL cablemodem will have to be off for a while tomorrow.   I don't
[---]
>>Is there likely to be any problem with the connection when it's powered up
>>again, or should it simply start flashing all its little lights happily
>>again?---
>
> should just come back to life again in a few minutes and start
> doing its thing. When the SYNC and RDY lights are both on and
> steady, you're good to go. As you say, you may find that you're on
> a new IP address when you come back up, but probably not, and it
> sounds like you don't need to care either :)

I agree, there should be no problem.

You can even leave your linux machine running and you'll just get
messages in the syslog to say that interface has gone down and then back
up when you reapply power to the modem.

Most times, you'll get the same IP as before. Mine has remained
unchanged for many months despite a few powerdowns at my end.

Good luck,

martin at ml1.co.uk