[Nottingham] Re: NTL cablemodem off power

David Aldred david at familyaldred.org.uk
Thu Jun 9 20:57:59 BST 2005

On Thursday 09 June 2005 19:38, Martin wrote:
> James Gibbon wrote:
> > David Aldred <david at familyaldred.org.uk> wrote:
>
> [---]
>
> >>to the NTL cablemodem will have to be off for a while tomorrow.   I don't
>
> [---]
>
> >>Is there likely to be any problem with the connection when it's powered
> >> up again, or should it simply start flashing all its little lights
> >> happily again?---
> >
> > should just come back to life again in a few minutes and start
> > doing its thing. When the SYNC and RDY lights are both on and
> > steady, you're good to go. As you say, you may find that you're on
> > a new IP address when you come back up, but probably not, and it
> > sounds like you don't need to care either :)
>
> I agree, there should be no problem.

Thanks to both of you.   One thing not to reconfigure!

> You can even leave your linux machine running and you'll just get
> messages in the syslog to say that interface has gone down and then back
> up when you reapply power to the modem.

I'll be leaving it running, but I don't think it well tell me much: it's
temporarily two floors up and running on a wireless connection (since its
space downstairs is being gutted and reconstructed!).   The wireless router
is likely to need reconfiguring, since it will be off power for quite a while
and none of its settings remain factory standard for very long, but I can do
that from the laptop with a PCMIA ethernet card.

> Most times, you'll get the same IP as before. Mine has remained
> unchanged for many months despite a few powerdowns at my end

'Twill be intersting to see.   The only use I make of any external IP address
is for the remote backup (Peter runs Unison from his machine in Cambridge
from time to time, and uses a dyndns address to do so - so even then the IP
shouldn't matter).

--
David Aldred