[Nottingham] Possible new PC...

David Aldred david at familyaldred.org.uk
Mon Jun 13 18:16:13 BST 2005

Hello, all...

I'm looking at a new PC, of course sepcifically with Linux in mind...

Web Systems of Bulwell having been praised on the list before now, I took a
look at what they are offering, and like the look of their Web ultimate.
I've talked to them and found out what the hardware details are (beyond those
listed on their website at
http://www.web-systems.co.uk/?page=Computers&gid=107):

AMD A64 2800+
Radeon 9800 Pro128MB
Motherboard: Asus K8V-x
Sound: on mobo - searching indicates ADI AD1980

Having looked at various places on the internet, I think it's all supported:
although the hardware database reports the sound system as unsupported,
several posts in the Mandrake Club forums seem to indicate it can work.

Whilst looking, though, I found a post from someone who does seem to have this
mobo/sound setup working, posting under a penname, with a Nottingham Forest
logo as an avatar.   Just wondering if it's anyone in here, and if so whether
he (or anyone else) can confirm compatability.

Oh, and whilst the 64-bit version is probably preferable, is there any reason
why a 32-bit install wouldn't work?

--
David Aldred