[Nottingham] User-mode-linux alternatives

Graeme Fowler graeme at graemef.net
Tue Jun 14 10:49:28 BST 2005

On Tue 14 Jun 2005 10:01:23 BST , Matthew Walster <matthew at walster.org> wrote:
> Does anyone here have any experience in this area?

Qemu has been quite a useful piece of software for me (and the only
non-commercial virtualisation environment that I've used):

http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/

Those of you with a "strictly F/OSS, (L)GPL, BSD or similar" licensing
bent will not like Qemu as it has a proprietary, closed-source,
binary-only accelerator module (which I hasten to add is quite
spectacular in the speed bump it gives).

I've used qemu on a number of occasions, usually for POC testing before
going into a hardware based test.

I see that FC4 now has the Xen extensions rolled in, haven't played
with it yet (only released < 24 hours ago) but I would surmise that
having it in a distro makes installation, config and manglement much
simpler.

> If so, where did you learn what you now know?

Google :)