[Nottingham] Re: lost kde after changing display settings

Sarah Swindell windyswindy at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 26 08:59:22 BST 2005

>From: Michael Erskine <msemtd at yahoo.co.uk>
>On Friday 24 June 2005 09:17, Peter Woods wrote:
> > So just grab it off the Nvidia site:
> > http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp
>You may get some good mileage from that route but I suggest you follow the
>official Mepis nvidia support at http://www.mepis.org/node/1416

I've had a look at the help stuff in http://www.mepis.org/node/1416 which
advised me to first run I've done "apt - get update" followed by "apt -get
install simplymepis" which I've done.

for http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp I need to know which
kernal I'm using and upgrade that if it's not compatible with the nvidia
driver. Info Centre doesn't seem to tell me which version (years of
spoonfeeding by Mr Gates's software I'm largely clueless without a GUI (less
time playing Ksirtet and more time swatting up on my command line stuff
would have helped me)).

How do I know which Kernal I'm on?
Also I only can do "apt - get" as Root - I thought that you weren't meant to
connect to the internet as Root as it was dangerous?

Cheers and apologies for my newby questions, Sarah