[Nottingham] Re: lost kde after changing display settings

David Aldred david at familyaldred.org.uk
Sun Jun 26 09:35:15 BST 2005

On Sunday 26 June 2005 08:58, Sarah Swindell wrote:
> How do I know which Kernal I'm on?

Open a console window (KDE menu - System - Terminals - Konsole) and type

uname -a

The response on mine starts

Linux main.familyaldred.org.uk 2.6.11-6mdk

and the 2.6.11-6 is th kernel build (mdk since it's Mandrake's version)

> Also I only can do "apt - get" as Root - I thought that you weren't meant
> to connect to the internet as Root as it was dangerous?

Others will respond, but AIUI the actual connection is handled by a process
which runs without root status, even though it was started by root: the
installation bit needs to have root permissions which i why you need to be
root to run it all.

--
David Aldred