[Nottingham] Evangelism

David Aldred david at familyaldred.org.uk
Mon Jun 27 17:20:35 BST 2005

On Sunday 26 June 2005 23:38, Michael Leuty wrote:
> On Sunday 26 June 2005 20:55, David Aldred wrote:
> > How have you found OOo2.0?   I tried a beta not too long ago, and
> > found the database prone to crashes, and the mailmerge functionality
> > still a long way from the main competition
>
> I'm sorry to hear you say that. Mailmerge is one of the things the
> secretaries will need to do.

Simple mailmerge (producing a letter to go to many people) is fine, once
you've worked out the way of selecting a database/table.

Creating a batch of mailing labels, however, is more complex, especially if
you want to format the labels in anything other than plain-text (or want to
change the layout once you see them with data included).   As I said, a
simple catalogue of the data (say a table of products, prices and
descriptions) seems to be a manual task!

That said, there is supposed to be a whole new mail merge wizard coming - but
its sepcification refers only to mailmerge for letters and emails, not to
labels or catalogues.  This may be in the latest version: I'll have a look
sometime soon.

--
David Aldred