[Nottingham] Social / website / Wireless Router - questions, any recommendations?

Steve Dickman stevedickman at fiskertonvcb.net
Wed Mar 2 19:49:59 GMT 2005

David,

you can buy stuff out there that are a router, wireless access point and
firewall combined. Linksys WRt54G are pretty good giving you a four port
switch as well as an AP. The firewall is fairly basic but gives as good
a protection as most Windoze software ones. You can restrict wireless
MACs as well as putting on WEP (highly recommended). They are about £85.
The web interface is standard and you don't need the Windoze install
disks at all as long as you know the default IP address of the router,
best to put in an infrastucture network and not an ad-hoc. I have a
mixed Mac/Linux and XP network (can't get the wife off Windoze) and it
all works fine around the house, including streaming music with slim server!

Steve

Hope that helps.

Steve