[Nottingham] startx problem in a new Debian install

Graeme Fowler graeme at graemef.net
Wed Mar 2 22:03:04 GMT 2005

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, Matt Bunter wrote:
<snip>
> and further down
>
> xfree86-common
>
> BUT, I have no startx file on the system. Under /usr/X11/bin I only have
> icewm files and none of them are readable. 100% sure that $PATH isn't the
> issue either.

The XFree86 system has a *lot* of components. Simply installing a window
manager probably won't install a full-blown X server for you (bear in mind
that I have very little Debian experience) as a WM can be used on a remote X
server.

I'd hazard a small guess that you'll be needing to install xserver-xfree86 in
order to get a working X server...

Graeme