[Nottingham] Re: KDE Startup problem

David Aldred david at familyaldred.org.uk
Sat Mar 12 10:36:09 GMT 2005

Right, got the box here and switched on now.

On Friday 11 Mar 2005 20:23, Charles Samuels wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Friday 11 March 2005 8:06, David Aldred wrote:
> > - Everything runs extremely slowly (switching to a console and doing top
> > reveals a kedinit process taking 99%+ or processor time: killing that
> > gets things going faster).
>
> Find out the actual name of that kdeinit with: ps aux | grep $pid (where
> $pid is the pid of the rogue kdeinit).  I think you'll find it is a
> knotify.

It isn't: it's
kdeinit: kwin -session (followed by a long hex number)

> My guess is that you can fix the problem by deleting
> ~/.kde/share/apps/kwin/eventsrc (but sending me a copy of it first :)

There's no ~/.kde/share/apps/kwin directory.

Further information on the problem:
- on KDE startup, the process runs apparantly normally until the final stage
of the startup ("restoring desktop", I think: the bit where the K logo is
bouncing up & down!).   The stage immediately before tis may also be slower
than usual, but I can't be sure as this isn't my PC!  The final stage is so
slow that the K logo stops moving entirely for up to 15 secs at a time, this
on a Dell PC only a few months old, so pretty fast.
- The window headed 'notification' eventually appears: it's got the knotify
icon in the title bar.  Lots more of the same thing then appear, all in the
same position(which is why Frances didn't think the 'OK' button was working,
think: dismiss one and the one behind it visually replaces it.
- I can dismiss all the ones on screen by clicking OK lots of times (this
after killing the rogue process).   In there are one or two which are
different: the title bars aren't there and the word above the OK is 'close'
or 'restore' instead of 'activate'.
- Even once all the visible ones have gone the taskbar still shows mulitple
instances of Notify, but tese don't respond to being restored via
right-click.
- Starting a konsole brings up a konsole window, but with no title bar: it
won't accept any keyboard input either.   The menu is there and session->quit
works.

Help!!!!

--
David Aldred