[Nottingham] Re: NTL speed increases

Michael Quaintance penfoldq at penfoldq.co.uk
Sun Mar 20 15:17:41 GMT 2005

A quick whois on autoregister.net returns the following info:
Registrant:
NTL Internet Ltd (AUTOREGISTER-DOM)
    Caradog House
    Cleppa Park
    Newport, Gwent np10 8ug
    UK

    Domain Name: AUTOREGISTER.NET

    Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:
       NTL  (COH2-ORG)           hostmaster at NTL.COM
       NTL House
       Dunleavy Drive Cardiff, UK CF11 0WW
       +44 2920 305000 fax: +44 2920 305282

    Record expires on 11-Jun-2005.
    Record created on 11-Jun-1998.
    Database last updated on 20-Mar-2005 09:52:16 EST.

So no need to worry about a phishing scam.

Additionally, if you add or amend any ntlworld pop3 mailboxes, register
a new account or otherwise change your package details, it is all done
through autoregister.net anyway.

In the past, all of these changes have been automatic. If, like me, you
are on their 24.99 pcm package, your speed will automatically be
increased when your UBR is uprated. It is simply ntl's way of
maintaining competitive pricing. In a similar way, your t&c's are
automatically updated. They publish these amendments on their
ntlworld.com site and it is assumed (due to a bit of legalese in the
original and all subsequent versions) that you agree to these
amendments. If not, your only recourse is cancellation of the service.
However, if you were still within your 12 month contract, you could
cancel with no penalty as they have changed the contract, not you.

As has been said in this thread previously, it is highly unlikely that
anyone but the worst offenders will be subject to the cap. In addition
to the previous suggestions of legitimate uses of high downstream
traffic and the proliferation of belgians trying to give me the mydoom
virus, I have recently taken to watching streamed TV from around the
world. It is helping my learning of German and the Czechs have a really
great music tv channel.

A sustained 300kbps + email and web surfing, uses up 1Gbit in less than
an hour. Or less than 8 hours if it is read as 1 GByte. Add to that a
few decent sized downloads and you can bust the 1 GByte per day easily.
If it is only 1 Gbit, that's little more than a decent news programme
as a language resource. Not to mention my (fictitious but plausible)
German pen pal who uses her webcam to help me with my listening and
speaking.

But despite my dislike of ntl's t&c's, I'm likely to be staying with
them in the short term. At least until the Stapleford exchange is
unbundled.

-Penfold