[Nottingham] Re: Social / website / Wireless Router - questions,

David Aldred david at familyaldred.org.uk
Tue Mar 22 20:41:13 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 22 Mar 2005 19:52, Martin wrote:
> David Aldred wrote:
> [---]
>
> > Using DHCP, the addresses allocated to machines vary.  The router doesn't
> > seem to pick up any hostname when allocating a DHCP lease - is there any
> > way of
>
> [---]
>
> Look at the instructions? Alocate according to MAC?

I've been trying the instruuctions - first reading through them, then
searching for the string 'host'  - but neither throws up anything useful!
The MAC listing doesn't appear to allow fo any allocation of hostnames.

> > Secondly, is it possible to ssh in from a machine outside the local
> > network to one inside it?
>
> [---]
>
> Yes. This is called 'port forwarding' or 'redirection' (RDR).

Right, found that bit now!  Thanks.

> For this to work, you must set the modem-router to forward whatever port
> to whatever LAN IP address. You might need to have fixed IPs after all.
> (Its what I did for my servers, with DHCP over a restricted range for
> the rest.)

I think I've just worked this one out - having started a reply to your mail
then deleted all of the original text here!

The manual indicated that you could put a static IP onto any machine on the
network, leave the router running as a DHCP server, and that this would work,
with the statically addressed machine just not taking part in the DHCP game.
I'd tried that but couldn't get to the Rest of the World fom the static PC.

I've just noticed that whatever I do in the Mandrake Control Centre network
setup bit, the 'gateway' setting reverts to what it was originally.   Change
it to match the one for the router, apply, close the window, and when you go
back into the setup it's back to what it was before!

Manually change it in /etc/sysconfig/network, service network restart, and the
system works.

Next thing is to try a reboot nd see if it loses the setting again - if it
does, I've no idea where else it's reading it from.......

.....  Yes, it does.  Right, that's that sorted!

--
David Aldred