[Nottingham] Re: Social / website / Wireless Router - questions, any recommendations?

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Tue Mar 22 19:52:28 GMT 2005

David Aldred wrote:
[---]
> Using DHCP, the addresses allocated to machines vary.  The router doesn't seem
> to pick up any hostname when allocating a DHCP lease - is there any way of
[---]

Look at the instructions? Alocate according to MAC?

> Secondly, is it possible to ssh in from a machine outside the local network to
> one inside it?
[---]

Yes. This is called 'port forwarding' or 'redirection' (RDR).

For this to work, you must set the modem-router to forward whatever port
to whatever LAN IP address. You might need to have fixed IPs after all.
(Its what I did for my servers, with DHCP over a restricted range for
the rest.)

Or, you could do something clever with a DMZ.

Good luck,

martin at ml1.co.uk