[Nottingham] Secure deletion of files

Duncan John Fyfe djf at star.le.ac.uk
Wed May 25 20:19:16 BST 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-25 at 17:59 +0100, David Aldred wrote:
> A question arising from a discussion at work: how secure is deletion of files
> in Linux?

If you are using a non-journaling filesystem (eg ext2 or FAT)  it can be
very secure.  If your using a journalling filesystem (eg ext3  reiserfs)
then it isn't guaranteed (see shred(1) for more details).
At least if you are using ext3 you can re-mount it ext2 then shred the
files.

> And is there any way of doing it retrospectively, if I were to forget at the
> time and simply delete the file in the usual way?
>
> (The video about security which triggered the discussion suggested a way of
> securely deleting your files under Windows, which would be better than
> nothing but still not particularly secure - and illustrated it with a video
> of someone working on a Mac!).

I don't know about hfs (the mac filesystem) but it works for windows
(FAT) because the filesystem is simple not because windows is clever.

Have fun,
Duncan