[Nottingham] WLAN Problems

Joshua Lock incandescant at gmail.com
Fri May 27 14:35:25 BST 2005

Humid afternoon to you all on the list,

I wonder if anyone out there might be able to help me.
I am fairly newbie to Linux and recently bought myself a Fujitsu Siemens
Amilo Pro V7010 laptop after reading on Linux-laptops.org that people
have had success with this software under GNU\Linux.

However after having bought the hardware and installing Ubuntu Hoary
(Debian installer is still a bit intimidating and I wanted latest Gnome)
I re-read the article at linux-laptops discovering that I have a crap
Prism XBow unsupported by Prism 54 but apparently working under NDsiwrapper.

Here comes the dilemma, I installed NDiswrapper and installed my windows
driver. ndiswrapper -l lists the hardware as detected but I cannot get
the device to work and iwconfig doesn't list any wireless interfaces.

I read about dmesg on the net and I have some output, seems that my
kernel is trying to load firmware via prism54. Output of dmesg follows:

ndiswrapper: driver prisma00 (Conexant,07/20/2004, 2.1.25.0) added
eth1: resetting device...
eth1: uploading firmware...
prism54: request_firmware() failed for 'isl3886'
eth1: could not upload firmware ('isl3886')

Can anyone help??? Please!

Running Ubuntu Hoary 5.0.4, ndiswrapper 1.1

Best

Joshua Lock