[Nottingham] WLAN Problems

Joshua Lock incandescant at gmail.com
Sat May 28 08:53:40 BST 2005

Hi Rob,

Rob Andrews wrote:
> [27-May-2005 14:33.54 (BST) / Joshua Lock]
>  > I read about dmesg on the net and I have some output, seems that my
>  > kernel is trying to load firmware via prism54. Output of dmesg follows:
>  > <snip>
>
> It would seem to indicate that prism54 supports the card to some extent.
> Before you go using the evil that is ndiswrapper, pop on down to
> http://prism54.org/ and fetch the latest firmware and see if that works
> (put it into /lib/hotplug/firmware/ and rename it isl3886).

I checked Prism before ndiswrapper and my card is listed as totally
unsupported.
Ndiswrapper works a treat however (100% signal strength) so I shall be
using it for the foreseeable future at least.
Thanks for the input though.

> If that doesn't work out for you, you can always:
>
> echo "alias prism54 off" >> /etc/modprobe.d/prism54-disable
> rmmod prism54

Excellent, I had (unsuccesfully) been trying to find how to do that :)
Many thanks!