[Nottingham] Response on awareness day

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Thu Nov 3 01:55:11 GMT 2005

Simon wrote:
> On 11/3/05, Michael Simms <michael at tuxgames.com> wrote:
>
>>Well, greetings to all LUG members.
>>
>>I'm sorry, but this email is not going to be a nice one.
[...]
> of today which I was going to mention on the list. But..

You were the one (only) other person eager to help out at our
"infopoints" efforts. Thanks for that and you're counted as one of the
more active members. (And thanks for retrieving my lost vintage PC badge!)

Even so, what we aren't told we don't know.

And we're not perfect so chase us up!

> I offered help regarding posters and making the event known within the
> universities.

Thanks, yes, that's still wanted.

ANYONE ELSE?

>>on Friday and so now its too late.
>
> Surely some of us can do something over the weekend and get them
> posted Monday? It can't be that late?

Do we jump in and plead to the NLUG people or do we risk that the two of
us aren't swamped from the publicity we've already pushed out?...

Given good reason, Michael and myself will put in the additional TWO
HOURS EACH (FOUR HOURS TOTAL + PHONE CALLS) to conjure something up and
get it published. Otherwise, like you say, why bother?

(Well, we do bother because we care.)

> I arranged time off on the Friday and Saturday and I could have given
> some time on Friday. But due to recent events, do I even bother? A lot
[...]

Thanks, good. We need any help we can get. We can call ourselves the
Three Musketeers (or were there four)? (You're welcome to the lift as
usual ;-) )

NLUGdites: *** *So where are the other 397* *** ?

Obviously too busy with themselves to bother to even start to change the
world.

Wait until Global Warming kills you all? (Or shouldn't the Government or
myself be bothered with that either? You're all doomed just like the
pathetic Golgafrinchens! :-( Look it up if for yourselves if you don't
know.)

(You all must have that last fag!)

> Also I do think a lot of people on the list don't know exactly what is
> expected of them? I use Linux a little but I'm not an expert and I
[...]

We've got a good few experts for the 'hard' questions. A lot of the
public questions are very easy and are just about what to point and
click or what a Linux desktop 'looks like'. I did a test sample of one
Joe Public in the evening and the only way to convey what Linux was was
to liken it to "Microsoft" but without viruses!

Enthusiastic people that know the word Linux is all that is needed. The
rest should look familiar enough to anyone whom has used any sort of
desktop whether Windows, HPUnix, Sun, or Amiga, or whatever.

Just someone to say hello and explain that there is something better
than Windows is a very useful and good start.

> I would still like to help out as much as I can if thats possible.

Yes please.

I'd like to keep you as one of the few that do care.

Thanks,

martin at ml1.co.uk