[Nottingham] Response on awareness day

Michael Simms michael at tuxgames.com
Thu Nov 3 10:55:37 GMT 2005

On Thu, 2005-11-03 at 09:28 +0000, Mike Cardwell wrote:
> Michael Simms wrote:

> You don't appear to understand the "real" function of the list.

Ahh your opinion stated as fact, good start.

> Regardless of whether or not you want it to be this way, people like my
> self sign up to LUG lists in order to learn technical information that
> would be useful to them at home and at work.

So you want to take and not give. Life doesnt work like that sorry.

So far you have (I find after a brief grep) asked the LUG for help nine
times over the last 18 months, each time LUG members have jumped to your
assistance. I dont really feel it is too much to ask you give something
back.

> Insulting people will not help your cause.

I dont recall me insulting anyone.

>  > Do you know - myself and a few others have invested a lot of time and
>  > effort into this awareness day. All we asked of the rest of you is a
>  > little bit of a commitment that would have taken 10 minutes of your
>  > time.
>
> No I didn't know that, and frankly I don't care.

I just hope that when you NEXT have ANOTHER question you need answering
by the LUG, that the LUG members dont have the same attitude to you
then, eh.

>  > Martin has asked for people to let him know if they can do the awareness
>  > day on the Friday. How many people have come back to him and say they
>  > can? ZERO.
>
> Yes. Are you starting to get the idea now?

Oh Im starting to get a few ideas.

>  > So far Ive invested about 70 pounds of my personal money, and a fair bit
>  > of my time (yes, I run 2 companies and work about 12-14 hours a day, and
>  > I managed to find the time, so lack of time is NOT an excuse). I know
>  > martin expends a lot of time on the LUG, and he is almost as busy as me.
>  > And yet it seems that only the two of us are going to be at the
>  > awareness day on Friday. Well thats OK because seeing as none of you
>  > bothered to send me any addresses, we have no publicity for it so
>  > probably nobody will be showing up anyway!
> >
> Not justified. You've made a fool out of your self because you've wasted
> your own time and you're blaming everyone else.

I did? Interesting, I dont feel like I made a fool out of myself. I feel
that Ive brought it to the attention of the LUG how so many people say
'yeah its a great idea' and they fail to get off their backsides to put
their money where their mouth is.

If you don't want to help, hey thats fine, but don't expect anyone else
to help you in return next time YOU need it. It works both ways.
--
Michael Simms - CEO, Tux Games
http://www.tuxgames.com