[Nottingham] Response on awareness day

Alan Pope alan.pope at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 16:53:45 GMT 2005

On 03/11/05, Michael Simms <michael at tuxgames.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-11-03 at 16:15 +0000, Matthew Walster wrote:
>
> > So, what we need to do is collar someone who uses Windows, has no interest in
> > computer (and especially Linux) and sit them down in front of (say,) an
> > Ubuntu box, and make a list of the questions they ask - like "how do I open
> > word"?
> >
> > You wouldn't believe the startling information you get from that situation.
> > Relatives are prime opportunity for this.
>
> I have to say my experience with that is completely different. I set up
> a linux box for my mother and brother and sister (13 and 14 at the
> time), and they were fine with it, no problems using it. I did take a
> while setting things up, but not a prohibitive amount of time.

Indeed, my near 40 year old brother is now using Ubuntu and broadband.
I was worried he'd have difficulties but he seems to be getting on
fine. He's miles away from me so I support him when necessary via SSH
and x11vnc if required. I've only had to logon once to setup his
broadband connection which I did over dialup. Rebooted and he was
online. Try that with windows!

Cheers,
Al.