[Nottingham] Challenge-Response systems

Michael Erskine msemtd at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Nov 4 10:22:04 GMT 2005

On Friday 04 November 2005 09:28, Andy Brown wrote:
> OK, here's a techy question (sort of)
>
> How do people feel about challenge-response systems as anti-spam
> measures?

fine

> How about CR systems that require a graphical browser to confirm the
> email?

fine

> And yes, this has come up because I've tried to email somebody on the
> list. (Not that the blocked email is any great loss on the grand
> scheme of things)

we know the particular system you're talking about :)

> Personally I don't think CR systems are ever going to stop spam anyway
> (and could make things worse because of the extra traffic generated).

old discussion played out many times

> And requiring a graphical browser for the confirmation strikes me as
> extremely unfriendly, not to mention possibly breaking certain
> accessibility requirements.

The point with this particular CR system is that if you genuinely WANT to get
your mail through then you can. Spam doesn't get through. In this way it
works exactly as required. Perhaps an alternative route for accessibility and
the browser-challenged could be incorporated.

Regards,
Michael Erskine.

--
It is a lesson which all history teaches wise men, to put trust in ideas,
and not in circumstances.