[Nottingham] Challenge-Response systems

Tim Emanuel tim.emanuel at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 10:46:59 GMT 2005

On 11/4/05, Michael Erskine <msemtd at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
 >The point with this particular CR system is that if you genuinely WANT to
get
>your mail through then you can
 Yes, this is true. The problem for a business implementing such a system
however is that a potential customer who did genuinely want to get the mail
through could be turned into a customer of the rival he also emailed, who
responded to his email without requiring him to jump through hoops. And then
when the reminder arrives seven days later that in particular would turn me
into someone who is resolved never to bother trying to give that company
money again.
 Furthermore, I'm sure I'm not the only one reading this who feels about
entering my email address into a web page to be added to a database. Now,
I'm not sugegsting for one minute that Michael Simms, CEO Tux Games or any
other businessman on here would use the database for anything other than the
whitelisting - it's not Michael in particular that I distrust, but people
collecting emails on the web in general.
 > Perhaps an alternative route for accessibility and
the browser-challenged could be incorporated.
 "Browser-challenged"? What is this, 1997? A lynx user's money is as good as
anyone else's.
 Tim.