[Nottingham] Challenge-Response systems

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Fri Nov 4 11:13:24 GMT 2005

Tim Emanuel wrote:
[---]
> Furthermore, I'm sure I'm not the only one reading this who feels about
> entering my email address into a web page to be added to a database.

You're on one for this list.

Regardless, you're likely on various spammers lists if you've done any
internet correspondence.

The source problem is the ease with which spammers can profit from
spamming, and all at our expense in having to pay for the extra
bandwidth and the extra hassle of dumping the stuff. I should know, I
clean off a few dozen spam mails each day before they hit the maillist.
Cue Monty Python Sketch: Don't talk to me about SPAM! :-(

CR is one of a few methods to combat spam. All the methods have their
problems. Shame we can't nuke the /source/ /problem/.

And the MAJORITY of internet mail is spam. Look up the stats for yourself.

Regards,

martin at ml1.co.uk