[Nottingham] Challenge-Response systems

Tim Emanuel tim.emanuel at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 11:30:00 GMT 2005

On 11/4/05, Martin <martin at ml1.co.uk> wrote:

> Tim Emanuel wrote:
> [---]
> > Furthermore, I'm sure I'm not the only one reading this who feels about
> > entering my email address into a web page to be added to a database.
>
> You're on one for this list.

 Um, yes, I know, and I chose to be based on a judgement that it was likely
to be a responsibly administered one. I might well not make that choice if
 a) I was being requested to add my details, rather than doing it on my own
initiative as I did in the case of this list.
b) The request was coming from a company that wanted to make me jump through
a hoop in order to give them my custom.

> And the MAJORITY of internet mail is spam. Look up the stats for yourself.

 Thanks for the patronising lecture, but that doesn't make me any more
likely to give my business to a company which uses that as an excuse to
assume that mine is.
 I'm interested to hear how people can say that a system which assumes
everything to be spam doesn't produce false positives.
 Tim.