[Nottingham] Proposal

Michael Leuty mike at leuty.net
Wed Nov 9 22:32:42 GMT 2005

On Friday 04 Nov 2005 01:10, Michael Simms wrote:
> I would expect that most people who would join the events list would
> stay on the main list too, so as to not effectively split the group
> (which would in my opinion be a bad idea).

I'm not really in favour of having many sub-lists. "General" and "Geek"
seems about right to me.

The amount of traffic on the current list is comfortable. I'm not
interested (or, indeed, able to understand) all the postings, but that
doesn't bother me, I just press the key to move onto the next message
when foxed. And sometimes my interest is caught by a posting which I
wouldn't have thought "a priori" to be useful.

If there are sub-groups of "meeting attenders" and "list only folk" then
I'm sure we can continue to co-exist. The LOF won't mind the MA people
arranging their various meetings/activities on the list, and may even be
tempted to join in.

I suspect that what people really want is a sub-list "nlug-abuse" where
all ranting and abusive postings would go, and to which they would not
subscribe.

Friends (and especially enemies), such a list needs only to be
hypothetical. The answer is always to count to 1010 before posting when
we are angry, and never ever be rude about anyone. Polite expression of
disagreement or disappointment makes much more effective advocacy. If you
attack someone and tear their position to shreds, you only entrench their
opinion by forcing them to devise plausible justification.

Human nature being what it is, intemperate postings will slip through from
time to time. A mailing list cannot be moderated. Paul Mellors' forums
have the advantage of being moderatable, but I prefer a mailing list
where the postings come to me rather than me having to go to look for
them.

My suggestion would be that there needs to be some sort of "light-touch"
policing of this list, whereby an Official Person (in regulation blue
uniform and large boots) makes it clear (in a genteel way) that abusive
postings are not acceptable whatever the provocation, and should not be
replied to. Apologies would be left to the discretion of the offender.

(I've still not read "that" 66-post thread to which I returned from
holiday last weekend, by the way. Will I miss anything useful if I delete
it unread?)

Mike L

--
Michael Leuty