[Nottingham] Proposal

Michael Erskine msemtd at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Nov 11 09:18:56 GMT 2005

On Thursday 10 November 2005 22:24, Michael Leuty wrote:
> Computer geeks in general have a bit of a reputation for not suffering
> (what they consider to be) fools gladly.

Aw, come on - here at work I suffer fools gladly all day :) (they _do_ pay me
though!)

> On the internet there is a
> culture of RTFM, do your own research, don't bother me with trivial
> questions. That is perhaps understandable when there are a large number
> of newbies. I would hope the geeks here would be more tolerant.

Yes, a response of RTFM is not acceptable, but the following definitely _IS_:
-
"take a look at the manual page using 'man whatever' in a shell and search for
your particular problem with '/myproblem' where you should see that it
mentions you need to use '--someflag' when using 'whateverwidget'"

This lengthier reply shows that the responder has actually attempted to RTFM
him/herself and points the less experienced fellow jouneyman/woman on the
right path.

Regards,
Michael Erskine (lowest SNR possible. No, wait... cp ~otheruser/.Xauthority ~
for root to run X apps. Ah! :) )

--
Flon's Law:
 There is not now, and never will be, a language in