[Nottingham] News from the Church Office

Michael Erskine msemtd at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Nov 11 10:23:50 GMT 2005

On Thursday 10 November 2005 22:35, Michael Leuty wrote:
> I should like to ask your advice about connecting the Ubuntu machine to
> the server.

Go ahead...

> First, should we set up a separate NFS server on the server or connect the
> Ubuntu machine to the Samba server used by the Windows clients?

NFS can be troublesome by all accounts -- sorry not using it myself (since
SunOS 4.13!) but folks slate it for security and file locking techniques. I'd
recommend Samba all the way - I've had enjoyable experiences with it!

> Secondly, should we transfer the entire user's home directory to the
> server, or simply a "Documents" subdirectory within it? In other words,
> are Linux clients happy with having the user's home directory on a
> server?

Hmm, I'd put this one to the guys doing admin at the Uni/Poly: fellas, any
thoughts?

Regards,
Michael Erskine (SNR creeping up dangerously)

--
Do you think your mother and I should have lived comfortably so long
together if ever we had been married?