[Nottingham] News from the Church Office

Roger Light rogerlight at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 10:52:46 GMT 2005

On 11/11/05, Michael Erskine <msemtd at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On Thursday 10 November 2005 22:35, Michael Leuty wrote:

> > Secondly, should we transfer the entire user's home directory to the
> > server, or simply a "Documents" subdirectory within it? In other words,
> > are Linux clients happy with having the user's home directory on a
> > server?
>
> Hmm, I'd put this one to the guys doing admin at the Uni/Poly: fellas, any
> thoughts?

We use NFS all the time to mount home directories with little problem.
As somebody else mentioned, linux/unix doesn't really care about how
something is mounted as long as it is. Automount allows you to have
directories automatically mounted when you need them as well, which is
pretty neat. If you've only got one server there isn't much need
though really - just mount the tree directly. Automount is a god send
when you do have multiple servers and want to mount directories that
exist in the same path, so

server1:/home/roger
server2:/home/michael

could both be mounted easily in /home on the client. It'd be a mess to
do it with static nfs mounts.

I have little experience of samba on linux so can't comment there.

Roger