[Nottingham] News from the Church Office

Mike Haber Mike.Haber at nottingham.ac.uk
Fri Nov 11 11:36:17 GMT 2005

>First, should we set up a separate NFS server on the server or connect the
>Ubuntu machine to the Samba server used by the Windows clients?
>Secondly, should we transfer the entire user's home directory to the
>server, or simply a "Documents" subdirectory within it? In other words,
>are Linux clients happy with having the user's home directory on a
>server?
It depends on how you want it look to you users, and if they expect their setting to be identical on all machines. Windows keeps application setting and other stuff in the Documents and Settings folder. Linux keeps similar stuff in hidden files in ~.

You could mount a directory under say U: on windows and under /home/<username>/U-Drive on linux, but all application settings would be local to the linux machine in use. Unless you're using roaming profiles then this will be the case for windows too.

If you mounted the samba directory as /home/<username> then all the unix configuration files would be on the share, so users would have the same settings on every linux machine (yay!), but there would be lots of no-longer-hidden dot files all over the place when they access the share in windows(boo!).
Try to find out what the work flow is for your users and try not to change it. If they're used to saving all there stuff in a folder called 'my stuff' on windows then make them a folder called my stuff in linux. It shouldn't matter how the folder got there (smb nfs) :-).

Hope this helps
Mike