[Nottingham] Merging databases problem

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Fri Nov 18 17:45:34 GMT 2005

Folks,

On another forum on this planet elsewhere there's a database merge
hiccup. Any SQL/Informix experts have an idea for the following?

"The two databases are physically identical, just contain different
data. The issue is that several fields are of user-defined type, which
apparently don't just get copied with a SQL "insert into db1:table
(x,y,z) select (x,y,z) from db2:table". Some really annoyingly long SQL
may do the trick, except that these types contains lists of indefinite
length, and from what we've experienced, if you screw up the transfer,
you hose the *enter* table."

"The databases involved are both on the same server running informix."

(This is on Boinc-s at h that I run to soak up idle time.)

Regards,

martin at ml1.co.uk