[Nottingham] corrupt user profile in ubuntu

Java Lynx javalynx at email.com
Sun Nov 27 16:11:28 GMT 2005

Hi everyone,

I need some help in trying to save some data in a corrupted profile.  I have tried for months to get it sorted, but have managed to make it worse by deleting files and folders to the point of not knowing what iv'e done now.

I have the new versions of Ubuntu and Suse and want to try them on my laptop but I wanted to save the bookmarks in Firefox which is in the corrupted profile.

I am still classing myself as a newbie to linux but I have tried to change the onwership/ group of the files and the folder but no joy. I have created a new user and tried to do similar things through that route but no joy. I have come to the point of giving up but thought I waould ask on here first before the process of wiping the hd for the new installs. I would really like to keep the info as it relates to sites and companies I have come across while searching for my interest in electric vehicles and propulsion over 18 months and in a moment of tiredness, I managed to delete details of the password for the profile and it all went downhill from there.

I have also tried a live Ubuntu cd but couldnt get to see the info on the HD so couldn't do anything there. Is there a solution or should I stop wasting anymore time and conceed to losing the info?

Thanks
pat