[Nottingham] Re: Fake raid and linux

Andy Davidson andy at nosignal.org
Mon Nov 28 08:51:59 GMT 2005

Brian Pickford wrote:
> Another oprtion seems to be buying a hardware raid card, reinstalling
> windows and linux on that - but, my question is which one?
> I think that anything much over £70 would not be a wise investment esp.
> as I'm just trying out the x64 versions of linux.
> The range of cards seems to run up to £230.

If performance matters, check :

  ... http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html

and pick a model which is not listed as fakeraid; it's a relative
mess-around to get fakeraid working, it's a performance hit, and I
wouldn't trust it to handle volume degredation as well as a
hardware-raid model.

I use, where possible, the 3ware 9000 series where possible, but they're
not cheap.  You might get away with a two/four port device for your
desktop which would save some money.

Without wanting to create competition.. :-) these do turn up on ebay,
fairly inexpensively if you are happy to buy from an international vendor.

-a