[Nottingham] Linux Media PC

Michael Quaintance penfoldq at penfoldq.co.uk
Sat Oct 1 16:52:33 BST 2005

Matt wrote:

>1) Does anyone know of a good cheap NIC that will boot from the
>network.  Everything I've found online offers "slot for boot ROM" as
>opposed to already having one installed.

Welcome to the world of PXE booting. It's fun but getting hold of
suitable nic's can be hard. Basically it was a protocol designed for
enterprise networks and as such is only really found by default on
enterprise-level nics. I say was because it has now fallen out of
fashion and many of the newer gigabit nic's don't support it at all.

Anyway, I wasn't prepared to pay £60 plus per nic to equip my home
network with this feature, so I looked elsewhere. eBay can be your
friend. It took a little while and I ended up with second-hand cards of
dubious history but I haven't had any problems yet.

To understand some of the issues surrounding pxe, have a look at
http://syslinux.zytor.com/ the homepage of the syslinux project. This
incorporates pxelinux (amongst others) which is basically your pxe
bootloader.

Note: a lot of 3Com cards with a PXE boot rom have 'issues' so I would
recommend looking for intel cards in preference. And avoid intel cards
with boot rom's at version 0.99 or lower. I have a touchscreen with an
embedded intel card at 0.99h for which no firmware upgrade is available
and it has given me some interesting issues getting the config sorted.

Best of luck.

-Penfold.