[Nottingham] Cybercafés

Robert Hart enxrah at nottingham.ac.uk
Sat Oct 1 23:18:08 BST 2005

On Sat, 1 Oct 2005, klarkin wrote:

> >(good looking, slim, but spoken for).
>=20
> i find this comment to be fucking pointless
> what kind of macho arse are you??=20

I have to admit I did almost flag this up as a little bit un-PC and
exactly the sort of thing that could make a LUG off-putting to people (and
not just women). On the other hand I'm inclined to give people the benefit
of the doubt and assume that either they weren't thinking straight, or
that I somehow misinterpretted what they meant.

However I do not think it is necessary to use such language in
response. Normally I am all for free use of whatever words people feel
best express what they are trying to get across, but this is a public
mailing list (that is archived) so I think it is appropriate to remain
civil or not speak at all. Perhaps a private e-mail to the OP might have
been more appropriate?

> > Are there some
> > cybercaf=E9s in the city centre which she could use (with machines, not
> > just wifi access)?
>=20
> yes we as the burns street squat are opening a open source internet=20
> cafe/workspace in the middle of next week
> somewhat based around the idea of ascii ----> http://scii.nl
> there will be 11 thinclients and wireless for all to use=20
> and ofcourse this will all be for free
> we use friefunk on wrt54g's for our wireless connection that is kindly=20
> donated by local residents -- in solidarity with what we are doing

This sounds like an interesting project. It might be a stretch to describe
it as "city centre" though.

> - -->=20
> http://notts.indymedia.org.uk
>=20
> also get in touch @ irc.indymedia.org   ->>> #notts
>=20
> mike these comments can not be tollerated in this day in age
> its not the fucking 50's man

Personally I believe the contrary. A good deal more tolerance would make
the world one hell of a better place.
=20