[Nottingham] Cybercafés

klarkin klarkin at scii.nl
Sat Oct 1 23:52:05 BST 2005

On Sat, 1 Oct 2005, Robert Hart wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Oct 2005, klarkin wrote:
>
>> *********************************************************
>>> (good looking, slim, but spoken for).
>>
>> i find this comment to be fucking pointless
>> what kind of macho arse are you??
>> ***************************************************************
>
> I have to admit I did almost flag this up as a little bit un-PC and
> exactly the sort of thing that could make a LUG off-putting to people (and
> not just women). On the other hand I'm inclined to give people the benefit
> of the doubt and assume that either they weren't thinking straight, or
> that I somehow misinterpretted what they meant.

maby

> However I do not think it is necessary to use such language in
> response. Normally I am all for free use of whatever words people feel
> best express what they are trying to get across, but this is a public
> mailing list (that is archived) so I think it is appropriate to remain
> civil or not speak at all. Perhaps a private e-mail to the OP might have
> been more appropriate?

point taken -> my bad -- i deal alot with these issues and find/found it
hard to restrain myself
this is a continuing issue that dosn't and hasn't gone away with
tollerance

>>> Are there some
>>> cybercafés in the city centre which she could use (with machines, not
>>> just wifi access)?
>>
>> yes we as the burns street squat are opening a open source internet
>> cafe/workspace in the middle of next week
>> somewhat based around the idea of ascii ----> http://scii.nl
>> there will be 11 thinclients and wireless for all to use
>> and ofcourse this will all be for free
>> we use friefunk on wrt54g's for our wireless connection that is kindly
>> donated by local residents -- in solidarity with what we are doing
>
> This sounds like an interesting project. It might be a stretch to describe
> it as "city centre" though.

well its 2 mins from the university
so i wouldn't say its rural :)

>> - -->
>> http://notts.indymedia.org.uk
>>
>> also get in touch @ irc.indymedia.org   ->>> #notts
>>
>> mike these comments can not be tollerated in this day in age
>> its not the fucking 50's man
>
> Personally I believe the contrary. A good deal more tolerance would make
> the world one hell of a better place.

another debate in it's self
not for this list

i forward an apology -- regarding the use of language
but my point stands

objects =