[Nottingham] A show of hands for the LAN party please

Michael perl at tecspy.com
Tue Oct 4 20:44:00 BST 2005

All,

Let's get an idea of attendance and machine numbers. I'm providing the
LAN so I'd like to know in advance! I have a couple of 24 port switches
and a lot of cables plus extra CAT5, plugs, and a crimp tool! Sadly, the
Cisco Enterprise switch hasn't worked since the last LAN party... strange!

I'm not providing the WAN/WAP but I can provide a firewall box running
Devil Linux. I assume we'll be using the 192.168.1.0/24 private address
range -- I can't imagine we'll have > 250 boxen! -- I'll set up DHCP and
DNS forwarding to whatever WAN/WAP device we get hold of and there'll be
a simple iptables ruleset providing nat.

Anyone want to host an official intranet httpd? We could each provide
shared data with individual Samba/ftpd/whathaveyou.

Just some random thoughts upon which we can get thinking.

Regards,

Michael Erskine.