[Nottingham] A show of hands for the LAN party please

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Wed Oct 5 01:21:38 BST 2005

Michael wrote:
> All,
>
> Let's get an idea of attendance and machine numbers.

Guess I'd better be there!

> I'm providing the LAN so I'd like to know in advance! I have a couple
> of 24 port switches and a lot of cables plus extra CAT5, plugs, and a
> crimp tool! Sadly, the Cisco Enterprise switch hasn't worked since
> the last LAN party... strange!

Good on the switches.

Shame about the Cisco, any connection with the partying?! :-/

> I'm not providing the WAN/WAP but I can provide a firewall box
> running Devil Linux. I assume we'll be using the 192.168.1.0/24
> private address range -- I can't imagine we'll have > 250 boxen! --
> I'll set up DHCP and DNS forwarding to whatever WAN/WAP device we get
> hold of and there'll be a simple iptables ruleset providing nat.

Sounds good.

I've got the free broadband access arranged with
http://www.ineedbroadband.co.uk for this event. Forgot who's offered the
WiFi AP that we can use. If it can be brought to the meet on Wednesday,
I can test out the access before the Partying on Sunday.

> Anyone want to host an official intranet httpd? We could each provide
>  shared data with individual Samba/ftpd/whathaveyou.

I'm bringing my fileserver box and a few power leads. I'll also bring
along whatever else comes to mind.

It should be good!

I'll be there for high noon. Anyone else is very welcome to help set up.

martin at ml1.co.uk