[Nottingham] LAN party afterglow or aftermath?

Michael Erskine msemtd at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Oct 10 10:00:09 BST 2005

All,

I was paying the price of afternoon drinking toward the end of yesterday's LAN
party and was dreading the tidy up and loading of all my junk into my tiny
car. As it turned out there was plenty of help and it wasn't so bad (apart
form my headache), so thanks to all you nice folks with your helping hands on
those treacherous stairs.

So what would people do differently if we were to do it all over again?

My own observations: the internet connection took up a lot of our time and was
an interesting... for a while :) . I should have put more thought into
interesting uses of the LAN that I lugged (no pun intended) up those stairs
as we didn't do much to saturate our LAN bandwidth. The venue was fine once
we had sorted out enough power although those pub tables aren't quite wide
enough for a full sized kb & mouse! Martin L paid for the room from the
donations left in "the tin" and we are welcome back there. This is real good
news as it gives us an interesting backup venue for meetings. I wasn't too
enamoured with the pub itself but there _was_ real ale available and it's a
personal choice thing after all. I know that some of our members prefer to
avoid a pub venue, and although it clearly IS a pub, it is possible to avoid
the beery areas for the most part (although access to the toilets is through
the public bar). Another bonus is that there is reasonable parking space
behind the building that is viewable from the room -- one can peer out of the
window to check on the vehicles!

Anyhow, it would be nice to hear of the good and bad points observed by the
other attendees, and also not forgetting those who couldn't make it or didn't
want to attend: was there anything else we could have reasonably done?

Regards,
Michael Erskine.

--
Just because you like my stuff doesn't mean I owe you anything.
  -- Bob Dylan