[Nottingham] WMV conversion info needed

Johannes Kling jok at printk.net
Tue Oct 11 14:22:19 BST 2005

Hello,

> Can anyone tell me how to convert WMV movies to either MPG or AVI, I
> have mencoder 1.0pre5-3.3.1 but I can not figure out how to convert the
> file using it.

Run:
# mencoder -oac help
# mencoder -ovc help

Note down the available audio and video codecs respectively and pick
one for each. To start the actual re-encoding, run:

# mencoder source.wmv -oac $audio_code -ovc $video_codec -o target.avi

E.g.:

# mencoder source.wmv -oac mp3lame -ovc lavc -o target.avi

Depending on your machine and the length of the file, you may want to
get a cup of coffee at this point as it may well take some time to
complete.

Regards,
  Johannes

--
"I shall press on valiantly in the face of apathy!" -- cmg