[Nottingham] Tar backups

Alex Herington alex at fnet.nu
Tue Oct 11 15:51:52 BST 2005

Howdy all,

I've googled this and asked some friends about this and I still can't
find a suitable solution :/

Basically I'm trying to back up 6GB of data to an SMB mount (which is a
NAS drive). As far as I know, because SMB is a Windows beast I can't
simply copy all the files to the SMB mount because I'll lose the file
attributes like permissions and uid/gid, so I figured tar everything up
using the "p" switch.

Fine, but tar appears to fail if the resulting archive >2GB :/

Am I using tar wrong? Should I use an alternative archiving tool? Any ideas?

Thanks,
Alex