[Nottingham] Buying a Laptop

David Wolfson eaxdrw at nottingham.ac.uk
Tue Oct 11 20:18:09 BST 2005

hi,

>I looking to buy a laptop. Looking at spending 600 to 900 pounds. Does anyone
>have any recommendations as to where to buy one?  I have very little
>experience with laptops. Does anyone know where I could get one without an OS
>at a discount?

Have a look at linux on laptops:
http://www.linux-laptop.net/
for some ideas on what might work well. I have an HP compaq nx9010 that was on RH9, but is now much happier on Mandriva 10.1 (both dual boot xp). I'd never have got anywhere without that website (and this list!).

Happy Hunting,

Dave

PS I *don't* reccomend this laptop for a linux install if you have a choice - it's a bit of a dog to get working!