[Nottingham] Configuring a basic web/FTp server

Graham Greenwood mr_brownstone3g at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 12 12:31:58 BST 2005

Hi All,
       I am currently at college which of course is a Microsoft house but I
would like to be able to backup my college work via the internet.  I was
considering using proftp but on all the guides I have read it recommends
configuring a seperate user for FTP and I was hoping to be sync my college
work with a similar directory structure in my home folder.  In doing this do
expose my to any more security concerns than I would using a special FTP
account.

We also do some basic web development on this course and I would like to
experiment on running my own web server but I only have a standard ntl
broadband connections, as in DHCP, are there any services that work like
DynaDNS for windows avaible for linux which are compatiable with
firestarter.

Any help would be much appreciated

Cheers
Graham