[Nottingham] Configuring a basic web/FTp server

Roger Light rogerlight at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 20:53:43 BST 2005

On 12/10/05, Robert Hart <enxrah at nottingham.ac.uk> wrote:

> The only advantage of FTP is that a basic client is installed on windows
> by default. I would stash a copy of putty and it's scp (pscp?) in your
> uni network drive and use that instead if you can.

This is a good tip. If you want something a bit friendlier, try
Filezilla at http://filezilla.sf.net/ It does both FTP and SFTP in a
pretty reasonable graphical client. I don't think it needs installing
if you choose the right package, but it is still meatier than putty
and pscp. It also does FTP over TLS/SSL which I've always been
intrigued by. Does anybody have any experience? I'm hoping it would be
a good compromise between the insecurity of FTP and the slowness of
SFTP (at least with version 2 of the SSH protocol).

Don't forget rsync either if you're talking about keeping remote
machines in sync, especially if the data isn't going to change that
much. Rsync won't copy things that haven't changed, saving on
bandwidth and time to transfer. Yummy. Rsync needs cygwin to run on
Windows (at least the last time I looked) but there are mini rsync +
cygwin installers around such as cwRsync -
http://www.itefix.no/phpws/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=6&MMN_position=23:23
that claim not to need admin rights. Caveat - I've not used cwRsync.

While not really useful here, I'm curious about tsync -
http://tsyncd.sourceforge.net/ It sounds quite neat.

Cheers,

Roger