[Nottingham] Configuring a basic web/FTp server

David Wolfson eaxdrw at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Oct 12 21:10:17 BST 2005

On Wednesday 12 October 2005 20:53, Roger Light wrote:
> On 12/10/05, Robert Hart <enxrah at nottingham.ac.uk> wrote:
> > The only advantage of FTP is that a basic client is installed on windows
> > by default. I would stash a copy of putty and it's scp (pscp?) in your
> > uni network drive and use that instead if you can.

> Don't forget rsync either if you're talking about keeping remote
> machines in sync, especially if the data isn't going to change that
> much. Rsync won't copy things that haven't changed, saving on
> bandwidth and time to transfer. Yummy.
it certainly is. I've not found any kind of gui, but haven't looked that hard.

> Rsync needs cygwin to run on
> Windows (at least the last time I looked) but there are mini rsync +
> cygwin installers around such as cwRsync -

> Caveat - I've not used cwRsync.
I have, and it seems to be fine. Another thing to look at is copssh which will
let a windows box act as an ssh server. The only thing to look out for is
duplicate cygwin.dll.

One other thing to bear in mind is that if your scripting with rsync you need
to set up public keys, or be there to login every time you run it...

Good luck,

Dave