[Nottingham] Why a spontaneous restart?

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Thu Oct 13 16:14:10 BST 2005

Michael Erskine wrote:
> On Thursday 13 October 2005 15:41, Martin wrote:
[---]
>>Whilst happily typing away in OpenOffice, my machine did a restart for
>>itself!
>
> The logs don't give much away there...
[---]
> So many things...sigh!

I know. That's why I'm suspecting a hardware glitch.

>>This is a first time ever in all my Linux bashings!
>
> What about your memory problems (or do you not remember :) )

Memtest86+ checked out ok when I last ran it. I'll admit that my own
memory is rather wet and randomised!!

>>Or is this old PC getting a little too old and the hardware is getting
>>too marginal?
>
> A PC is never too old - broken, perhaps, but never too old.

There's the slow creeping death of intermittents as the PSU caps slowly
become less effective and the supply rails get ever more noisy :(

>>Everything checks out ok after the reboot.
>
> So far :) ...

Yes. I'm now back to the windows mentality of save after every edit :(

[---]
>>Mandriva 10LE (Mandrake 9.2)
>
> Ah! there's you problem! :) No, seriously though, what's yer kernel ver?

:-b

2.6.11-6mdk #1 Tue Mar 22 16:04:32 CET 2005 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+

martin at ml1.co.uk