[Nottingham] Postfix - again...

David Aldred david at familyaldred.org.uk
Sat Oct 15 22:23:51 BST 2005

On Saturday 15 Oct 2005 15:55, Martin wrote:
> David Aldred wrote:
> > I had trouble with this before, and now I've got it again....
> >
> > Just installed Mandriva 2006, and very nice indeed - more or less
> > everything obvious and out-of-the-box stuff.
>
> Good stuff. I may well wish to borrow your DVD ;-)

You're welcome - I downloaded the 4CD set, as a matter of fact, but there is
supposed to be a way to convert it to a DVD!   If you'd like a copy, I'll
burn you one (note to forestall any questions: we are both Mandrake Club
members!).

> For the sake of good security (on Mandriva at least), root is not
> permitted to mail offsite.

I didn't know that!  That would explain the problem as far as I'd investigated
it at that stage, but....

> Does it work ok as a /normal/ user?

Well, yes and no!

If I email Peter's gmail account from the command line:

[david at main ~]$ mail pxxxxxxxxxxxxx at gmail.com
Subject: testing from command line
Just a test
EOT
[david at main ~]$

... then it gets to his gmail box (it just has, in a matter of seconds!)

If I email my own main ntlworld mailbox directly from the command line, the
same happens.

If I email david at familyaldred.org.uk from the command line (or another email
address I have which forwards to that address) it fails to arrive.

If I do the same from KMail (which talks directly to smtp.ntlworld.com rather
than relying on Postfix), they both arrive.  Other mail addressed to either
address is flowing through - Peter has just sent emails to both addresses
from his gmail account, and they have arrived.

I did wonder if Postfix was identifying that the suffix familyaldred.org.uk
was 'local' (since this machine's hostname is main.familyaldred.org.uk,
though the MX for familyaldred.org.uk doesn't point here).  However, my
second address doesn't involve this suffix, so shouldn't be affected!

Anyone got a nice clean brick wall for me to bang my head against for a bit?

--
David Aldred